I am pregnant with our first - a boy. And we have not discussed names seriously since the first week I knew I was pregnant and I'm starting to panic that we're just going to keep procrastinating and make a rash decision.
- My husband's name is Marc and he would like that to be the middle name for our son, since it's 2 generation tradition in his family to have the father's first name be the firstborn son's middle. I'm okay with it, but having a hard time finding names that flow nicely with Marc as a middle.
- I prefer somewhat unique multisyllabic names that have clear spellings/pronunciations.
- My husband seems to prefer strong masculine names, but doesn't like many of the biblical ones I do.
- Daniel, Douglas, Edward, Timothy, Joseph and Adam have already been taken by other family members.
- We do like many of the more modern names, but some of them (like Wyatt) are just a little too out there for us.
- Also, since our last name ends with a "man" sound, I don't think we should choose a first name ending in -on or -an sounds (e.g., Roman, Jackson).
I originally was inclined to name him Thomas after my father, but when I told my mom and sisters, they all reacted badly as we have many many Toms in the family already. Thomas Marc is also a tad boring.
Any suggestions are most welcome. I'm not finding the baby books or celebrities to be very inspirational.
Let's play a game! I'm going to take the boy name section of my copy of The Baby Name Wizard, open it to a page at random, and choose one boy name from that page. I got pages 214-215, and I suggest Louis. Louis Marc Raymond. Let's play again! Pages 190-191. I suggest Franklin and Frederick. Franklin Marc Raymond. Frederick Mark Raymond. One more time! Pages 242-243, and I suggest Stephen. Stephen Marc Raymond. This is a good way to get a list going when it's hard to make a list; each parent can choose a name from each page.
Looking up the name Thomas, I notice the name Theodore. Theodore Marc Raymond.
I nearly suggested Edmund, an excellent strong masculine name that doesn't see the light of day often enough---and then I realized EdMUND RayMOND.
Nathaniel Marc Raymond would be nice.
Or Nicholas Marc Raymond.
Or Jeremy Marc Raymond.
Jonathan Marc Raymond.
Help me out, you guys; I'm stuck on this one.