My husband and I (Nick and Emmyline Benson) are expecting our third child end of June (due date: 28th of June), the sex of the baby will be a susprise.
Our sons are Alexander Kurt Benson (5) and Mathias Jack Benson (3). We had no trouble deciding on their names but with baby number 3 we're having some difficulties on the naming side of things!
I (Emmyline) am a Dutch-speaking Belgian and speak Dutch with our children, my husband is American and speaks English with them. Alexander and Mathias are names that are pronouncable in both languages, also for our new baby we are looking for a name that will work in Dutch as well as in English.
My husband and I have some names in mind but we can't seem to settle on a name that we both love, these are the names that we've been considering:
For a boy:
- Maximilian: My favorite, my husband thinks Maximilian is too long, he would prefer Maxwell but this is a name that is never used in Dutch and I generally don't like it very much.
- Noah: A name we both like a lot but I love 'Norah' for a girl and if this baby is a boy I would like to be able to use 'Norah' on a possible future daughter.
- Vincent: My husband's favorite. I don't dislike the name and it works in Dutch but I knew a lot of Vincents my age growing up and it's hard for me to picture a little boy named Vincent.
- Sebastian: A name we both like but I feel like it doesn't flow well with Benson...
- Casper: Also a name we both like but does it sound too much like Alexander?
Possible middle names for a boy: Andreas (after both of my grandfathers who were called Andre), Robert (Nick's grandfather), Nicolas and Nathan (my brother)
For a girl:
- Norah: I love this name but Nick is not too sure about it, he feels it's too old-fashioned.
- Nell: We both like this name but think it is too short compared to Alexander and Mathias.
- Flo: We both like the nickname 'Flo' but can't find a good formal name that we both love.
Possible middle names for a girl: Rachel (my grandmother and own middle name), Lillian (Nick's mother), Margaret (my mother's middle name) and Sophie (Nick's sister)
Any suggestions are very welcome. We prefer classic names that are not too popular.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help us name our baby.