I'm panicking... our baby girl is due in less than 4 weeks and we can't come up with a name!
She is our first (and probably only). Her last name will be Brown. A few key points have come up through our name-search:
1. Meaning/history is incredibly important! My partner even vetoed my favorite name "Ophelia" because the character didn't fare so well in Hamlet... despite it having a great meaning ("helper").
2. We have been drawn to Greek names (though we are not Greek) particularly those ending in "-ia". Though this has made it hard to think of paring first and middle names since they all end up having the same sounds (Thalia, Ophelia, Philia (now vetoed completely as well), Thea...).
3. We are both bookish-academics and thus literary sources have been influential.
4. In addition to -ia Greek names, we've considered a few gender-neutral last names taken from various authors on our bookshelves: Morrison, Ellison, Beckett...
5. The name itself does need to be relatively unique/unpopular (and no spelling a name oddly to add to it's uniqueness). My partner's name has been in the top ten for decades and thus grew up going by his last name, whereas I was the only one in my school with my name and I always loved that.
6. I would like if the name (or middle name) had some form of "Ann/Anna" in it, because it would call out to several female family members but it's not necessary.
Several we still have on the list: Thalia, Thea (I LOVE this as a nickname!), Amalia, Hadiya, Safiya (afraid it will be confused with Sophia which we love but is just too popular), Zaphira, Atiya, Eos (would only consider it for a middle name)... None of them sound like "the one" though. I honestly don't expect to have one chosen when she arrives anymore... but if we could at least have some solid choices that would help! Otherwise I'm afraid she'll be 2 before we come up with something.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Shopping ideas for summer fun - Normally this time of year I’m buying a batch of Summer Survival Gear Treats. I like to buy a new CD for the driving back and forth to lessons and camp; a ...